Dr. Yazdan is my family and my Dentist in Newport Beach. She is the best around and she always has so many tips for keeping our smile and teeth happy and healthy! I asked here to share her top 7 tips for a heathy smile. She is so sweet to share the knowledge with you all. Knowledge is power and we have the power to change little things for our overall health. (I also love following her on Instagram because Im constantly learning something new from her posts.)
As a dentist, it has always my goal to help people understand that their teeth can greatly affect their overall health. My name is Dr. Desiree Yazdan and I am a cosmetic dentist in Newport Beach. I’ve become an expert in the field of dentistry simply by accumulating an extensive amount of experience.
In southern Orange County, it’s very common for me to see patients that are extremely conscious about their appearance and their health. Having people come to me with a desire of having a beautiful, healthy smile has made me become creative on how I can get them to their goals more quickly and effectively. Have you ever heard the phrase “You are what you eat?” Well, this applies to your teeth too! So, while you’re planning your next healthy meal, let’s talk about seven healthy foods that are actually good for your teeth.
1. Celery: Hard, crunchy foods that contain a lot of water are great for your teeth! The chewing helps increase saliva production, which is your mouth’s first defense against bacteria. Your saliva acts as a buffer and helps to neutralize the acids in your mouth, so the more saliva you can produce, the better. Additionally, the texture of celery is slightly abrasive, so it helps clean the surface of your teeth by removing plaque and debris.
3. Bell Peppers: Did you know that bell peppers are loaded with vitamin C? Here’s the thing about vitamin C—it really helps your gums stay healthy. Your gums help your teeth stay firmly planted in your jawbone, so keeping them healthy is really important. Vitamin C also reduces inflammation, and helps you fight periodontal disease. Without vitamin C, your gums become more susceptible to bacteria and they can become more sensitive.
4. Grapes: One of the best ways to help your mouth stay healthy is through the intake of antioxidants. Grapes are loaded with antioxidants! Antioxidants help fight the bacteria that cause inflammation and periodontal disease. They help protect the gums and the other tissues inside your mouth from cell damage and bacterial infection. As an added bonus, they taste great!!
5. Nuts: Personally, I like almonds, but most nuts contain a high amount of arginine. Arginine is an important amino acid, which helps disrupt the formation of plaque and reduce the chances of cavities. So the next time you’re reaching for a snack, skip the granola bar and reach for some mixed nuts instead!
6. Eggplant: Eggplants contain an element known as anthocyanins. Basically, it’s what gives the eggplant that deep purple color. This helps prevent the attachment of plaque to the teeth, which in turn helps prevent gingivitis and periodontal disease. Unhealthy gums can lead to loose teeth, exposed dentin, and even the loss of teeth in extreme cases, so keeping your gums healthy is a key ingredient in having healthy teeth!
7. Sugar free gum: This one is a no-brainer! Chewing sugar free gum helps boost saliva production, which again, washes away bacteria and helps remove debris. If you want to get the most benefit from chewing gum, try chewing on a gum that has xylitol in it. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is derived from a plant, however, it does not break down like sugar, and it helps keep a neutral pH level in our mouths. Xylitol also helps prevent bacteria from sticking to the teeth. Additionally, xylitol has been shown to help repair damaged enamel. The best time to chew xylitol gum would be after a meal, so make sure to always carry some with you!
The next time you are doing your weekly grocery shopping, I hope that you add some of these items to your list. Give a few of these a try each week to keep your teeth strong, your gums healthy, and your overall and oral health as good as it can be. If you’re craving even more information, hop on over to Instagram and send me a direct message. I hang out there quite a bit, and I’d love to get to know you.
Instagram: www.instagram.com/DrYazdan (@DrYazdan)
*Dr. Yazdan is an expert in cosmetic dentistry taking pride in offering the finest in patient care and services to each and every patient individually. Although her practice provides almost all dental treatments, Dr. Yazdan heavily focuses on aesthetics. Having completed research on enamel development and receiving her Masters in Craniofacial Biology and Doctor of Dental Surgery from the University of Southern California, Dr. Yazdan’s expert training and professionalism have added to her keen eye for beauty. At the Center for Restorative & Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Yazdan utilizes her expertise and passion to create incredible smile transformations.